FAQs – Responsible Service of Alcohol

Is my RSA Certificate recognised in every State/Territory of Australia?

Each State/Territory of Australia has its own requirements for Responsible Service of Alcohol training. Please refer to the Interstate Recognition of RSA Certificates for guidance.

Do I have to have a webcam in order to complete my RSA Certificate?

No – You can complete your RSA Certificate without using a webcam however upon completion you will be required to complete a self-declaration (we supply this) and provide proof of identity.

Do I need to supply identification?

Yes – You need to supply the following:

  • Either one form of Photographic Identification:
    • A current and valid driver’s licence
    • An 18 plus card
    • A current school identification card
    • Other current photographic identification card/document/licence issued by the Australian Government or relevant Australian state or territory
    • A current and valid Australian passport
    • A current and valid international passport, WITH ACCOMPANYING VISA
  • Or at least three other forms of non-photographic identification – one of which must contain your current residential address:
    • A Medicare card, birth certificate, credit card, land title record, rates notice, public utility account, telephone account etc.

Is my progress saved or must I complete the course in one sitting?

All progress is saved. You are not required to complete your course in one sitting.

What if I have lost my Certificate?

If you have lost your Certificate from Narbil Training we can provide you a replacement at no cost.

To start the process, send an email to support@narbiltraining.edu.au with your personal particulars (name, DOB etc.) and state you have lost your Certificate.

Interstate Recognition of RSA Certificates

The following information has been extracted from the applicable Regulatory Authority for each State/Territory of Australia.

State of Australia

Are Interstate RSA Certificates Accepted?



The required certification in Queensland is a Statement of Attainment, issued on completion of the national training package competency ‘Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol’. As a competency within a national training package, the ‘Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol’ course, may only be delivered by a registered training organisation (RTO).

Queensland accepts a Statement of Attainment issued under the National Training Package.

Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation

Western Australia

The course of training in responsible practices in the sale, supply and service of liquor which is recognised by the licensing authority is Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol (SITHFAB002) (nationally accredited) which supersedes Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol (SITHFAB009A). However, Registered Training Organisations are permitted to offer the course Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol (SITHFAB009A) up to 18 January 2014.

Western Australia accepts a Statement of Attainment issued under the National Training Package.

Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor


Fact Sheet


A licensee must not allow a person to serve liquor on licensed premises unless the person

a) has successfully completed an “approved course” – (RSA training course); or

b) has been an employee of the licensee for less than 3 months and is –

                    i. undertaking a RSA training course; or

                  ii. formally enrolled in a RSA training course to be held within three months of commencing employment

An “approved course” means a course of instruction or training in the service of liquor, approved by the Commissioner.

The Commissioner has determined that he will recognise courses that deliver the national competency SITHFAB002- Provide responsible service of alcohol conducted by a RTO.

RSA training provides licensees, liquor serving staff and security employees with knowledge and awareness about the responsible service and consumption of liquor in premises where liquor is sold.

A person applying to hold a liquor licence is required to undertake RSA training unless exempted by the Commissioner for Licensing. Exemptions may be granted for special liquor licence applicants in certain circumstances.

Tasmania does not accept a Statement of Attainment issued under the National Training Package unless the course has been approved by the Commissioner.

Department of Treasury and Finance

New South Wales

Do you or any of your staff have a paper RSA or RCG certificate issued between 1 January 2009 and 31 December 2009? These certificates will no longer be valid after 30 June 2015. Holders of these certificates need to complete a new course from an approved provider and then apply for a photo competency card from Service NSW.

New South Wales does not accept a Statement of Attainment issued under the National Training Package as sufficient.

Office of Liquor, Gaming & Racing

South Australia

Responsible service of alcohol training

1. A licensee must ensure that all staff involved in the service or supply of liquor on the licensed premises complete nationally accredited responsible service of alcohol training.

2. The training must be completed within three months

South Australia accepts a Statement of Attainment issued under the National Training Package.

Consumer and Business Services


Code of Practice

Northern Territory

Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificates for staff involved in the service of alcohol are compulsory in the Northern Territory, in line with the rest of Australia.

Staff are required to be RSA trained within a month of employment.

The Director-General of Licensing recognises all RSA certificates issued by accredited training providers interstate.

The Northern Territory accepts a Statement of Attainment issued under the National Training Package.

Department of Business


Face-to-face RSA training is mandatory for licensees and staff selling, offering or serving liquor for general, on-premises, late night and packaged liquor licences. Licensees and staff subject to mandatory RSA requirements have one month from the date on which they first sell, offer for sale or serve liquor on the licensed premises to complete an RSA program. They will then need to complete the approved RSA online refresher course within three years of completing their last RSA program.

Victoria does not accept a Statement of Attainment issued under the National Training Package as sufficient if the course was completed online, the course must be completed face-to-face.

Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Australian Capital Territory

Licensees and commercial permit holders (excluding influential persons of a corporation who do not supply liquor), employees supplying liquor and crowd controllers will be required to have successfully completed an A.C.T. approved Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training course by 1 June 2012. This is a six month extension to the previous date of 1 December 2011.   Persons who have completed an unapproved RSA course (in any jurisdiction) since 1 June 2010 will not need to complete an approved course until 1 June 2013. RSA training will be required every three years if you are:

  • The licensee or a commercial permit holder;
  • An employee of the licensee or commercial permit holder who serves liquor at the premises: or,
  • A crowd controller who works at the premises.

For a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to be approved to conduct a RSA training program in the A.C.T. they must first have the course content (which must include coverage of specific A.C.T. legislative requirements) approved by the Commissioner for Fair Trading.

The Australian Capital Territory does not accept a Statement of Attainment issued under the National Training Package as sufficient, the course must be approved by the Commissioner for Fair Trading.

Office of Regulatory Services